Cherishing Our Past, Nurturing Our Future
The Historical Commission is interested in copies of photos you may have of Evergreen Park. Please contact our Commission Chairman George Peso at (708) 422-1551. For a full description of the items we are looking for, check here!
A Brief History of the Historical Commission
The Evergreen Park Historical Commission was established by Village Ordinance No. 16-2003 and approved by the Village Board of Trustees on July 7, 2003.
The commission originally consisted of seven members and a chairman appointed by the mayor, with the consent of the Village Board of Trustees. At its first regularly scheduled meeting on October 22, 2003, the Historical Commission formulated its goals and established four permanent committees which are Preservation / Landmarks, Museum / Archives, Historical Book, and Fundraising / Development.
On March 31, 2004, the Historical Commission approved an advisory board to supplement a growing list of committee volunteers. Any Evergreen Park resident is welcome to join any of the four historical commission committees noted above.
- Focus on site preservation and landmark designation.
- Push for the creation of a historical museum and archives.
- Preparation of a written pictorial history of Evergreen Park.
- Seek funding and grants for commission and village in areas of historical significance.
- Establish a historical registry of homes and historical sites.
- Provide ongoing education programs to highlight Evergreen Park’s past, present, and future.
Commission Mission Statement
The mission of the Evergreen Park Historical Commission is threefold:
- To preserve the rich cultural history of Evergreen Park
- To establish an ongoing collection of data, artifacts, photos, and memorabilia related to the past, present, and future history of Evergreen Park; and
- To provide a multi-faceted educational network to give all residents a deeper appreciation of Evergreen Park’s history, cultural heritage and traditions.
Significant Dates in Evergreen Park’s History
- 1828 - First resident Blasius Schwer and family settle in area
- 1831 - Evergreen Park becomes part of unincorporated Cook County
- 1875 - First school built on-site of present Central Junior High
- 1893 - Village Incorporated. First Methodist Church established
- 1909 - Natural gas lines installed in Village
- 1921 - Evergreen Golf Club opens
- 1928 - New Central School opens
- 1930 - Little Company of Mary Hospital opens
- 1941 - First Catholic Church opens (Most Holy Redeemer)
- 1943 - 50th anniversary
- 1944 - First Public Library established
- 1949 - Northeast School built
- 1952 - Evergreen Plaza opens
- 1954 - Evergreen Park High School opens
- 1958 - New Village Hall dedicated
- 1958 - New Public Library opens
- 1967 - New Post Office opens
- 1968 - 75th Anniversary
- 1970 - E.P. Recreation Department founded
- 1974 - E.P. Office/Citizens Services founded
- 1993 - Centennial Celebration
- 1999 - New Fire Station Opened
- 2002 - Village Hall expansion completed
- 2001 - Yukich Field Dedicated
- 2003 - Evergreen Park Historical Commission established
- 2003 - Sale and Demolition of Martinique / Drury Lane complex
- 2006 - Purchased 1st Christian Reformed Church
- 2007 - 1st Christian Reformed Church designated as Senior Center / Historical Museum
- 2010 - Evergreen Golf Course sold to developer
- 2012 - West end of Golf Course now Village Park
- 2012 - Demolition of LCM Tower Building and opening of new wing
- 2013 - Bleekers Bowl closes; Binny's renovates building
- 2013 - Tavern In The Green opens in renovated Karson's Restaurant location
- 2013 - Evergreen Marketplace opens at 91st/Western
- 2014 - Eastbound 95th Gateway To Village Renovated
- 2015 - Marianos/PetSmart opens in old Webb Ford lot
Thanks to Our Benefactors
Your generous contribution to the Evergreen Park Historical Commission will help the Historical Commission reach its goals, particularly to create a historical museum and archives to preserve the rich cultural heritage and traditions of Evergreen Park. We appreciate your support and welcome your comments.
Any inquires about the Historical Commission may be made by calling the Village Hall at (708) 422-1551, ext. 2385.